Creating a sitemap is an important part of optimizing any website.
Not only do sitemaps provide search engines with a blueprint of how your website is laid out, but they can also include valuable metadata such as:
- How often each page is updated.
- When they were last changed.
- How important pages are in relation to each other.
Sitemaps are especially important for websites that:
- Include a lot of archived content that’s not linked together.
- Lack external links.
- Have hundreds or even thousands of pages.
As the name implies, these files provide bots with a map of your site that helps them discover and index the most important pages.
In this article, we’ll discuss…