My Cybersecurity Confession
Before the confession, I want to share a recent and valuable report from Verizon. Its 2018 Data Breach Investigations Report has a depth of valuable information that merits the attention of every practitioner.
The summary of findings included these observations:
- 73 percent of breaches in the last year (of which Verizon is aware) were perpetrated by outsiders, while 28 percent involved internal actors.
- 50 percent were carried out by organized criminal groups.
- 12 percent involved actors identified as nation-state or state-affiliated.
- 58 percent of the victims were small businesses.
- 24 percent of breaches affected healthcare…